The International Linkages and External Affairs Office (ILAO) is a newly established unit under the Office of the President.
The office is engaged in various programs, projects and activities to address the emerging local and international needs and services of the university aligned to the 10-point agenda of President Merian Catajay-Mani for a research-based higher education institution in ASEAN and the Pacific region.
Responds in the pursuit of international-focused engagement and initiatives in the ASEAN and the Pacific region;
Supports and promotes the university’s core values for a new branding of leadership in meeting global competitiveness and internationalization;
Utilizes its resources efficiently and effectively in linking its students, faculty and staff to research, extension and training opportunities with local and international partners;
Initiates linkages and collaborations through its academic programs, R&D projects; and engage alumni in various programs and activities;
Leads to increase university’s participation and cooperation in various international and cross-cultural events; and
Assists in providing a nurturing environment for greater international networks and alliances.
The ILAO Team
Functions and Services
- Communicates and coordinates with other academic institutions and organizations overseas to expose students, faculty and staff to global standards of higher learning and industry practice;
- Coordinates with the Department of Foreign Affairs’ embassies, Bureau of Immigration, Commission on Higher Education (International Affairs Staff), National Economic and Development Authority, Department of Science and Technology (DOST), other government and funding agencies on international academic and cultural exchanges, scholarships, fellowships, grants, conferences/workshops, seminars, study tours and other related matters;
- Facilitates collaboration, partnership and cooperation with both local, national and foreign institutions and organizations in providing academic, research, extension, and training programs, including long distance learning modalities;
- Serves as the focal unit in the delivery of transnational education towards an appropriate, reliable and cost-effective solutions and services in partnership with foreign partners;
- Provides up-to-date information and other related reports about international programs, projects, and activities between the university and foreign partners;
- Facilitates and oversees the mobility of students, faculty and staff for international related travels and exchanges in coordination with the Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Office of the Vice President for Research, Extension and Development, the Student Affairs Office, and other concerned units of the university and government agencies;
- Coordinates with the Center for Alumni Relations and Employment Services of the university in developing programs, projects and activities that expand and strengthen industry linkages and partnerships through R&D, extension, trainings and job placement services in the region and abroad; and
- Performs other administrative functions in relation to international linkages and networking as directed by the University President.
- Submission of the application for membership to the University Mobility in Asia and Pacific Region (UMAP) Philippines Council.
- Endorsement of the Administration Council for the creation/institutionalization of the unit – International Linkages and External Affairs Office (ILAO) for BOR approval.
- Endorsement of the Administration Council for allowing the University President to forge a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Kansas State University, USA.
- Submission a video clip to EdUSA Philippines (US Embassy in the Philippines), highlighting the initial collaboration with Kansas State University. RSU was one of the three (3) chosen SUCs to be featured in the first-ever campaign video of EdUSA Philippines that was aired during the kick-off event of the International Education Week 2020 in the country. The video is available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dYs8I2BmpA
- Facilitation the discussion among 10 SUCs to collaborate with Kansas State University on Conservation Agriculture (CA) for Sustainable Intensification. Secured Letter of Intents (LOIs) from the participating SUCs.
- Hosting of the Talk/Lecture Series on Conservation Agriculture in close collaboration with Kansas State University, USA and in cooperation with EdUSA Philippines and CHED-IAS held on 13 Oct, 20 Oct, 27 Oct and 3 Nov.
- Attended virtual webinars organized by CHED-IAS, CHED PCARI and EdUSA Philippines on potential collaborations with US academic institutions.
- Initial discussions with the University of California-Berkeley for a webinar on the Utilization of Agricultural Residuals and the Autonomous Surface Vehicle (ASV) Technology for Oceanographic Research. This webinar is scheduled on 16-17 December 2020 to be hosted by RSU.
- Creation of an unofficial website for ILAO powered by weebly to have easy sharing of information and better communication with other units. The link: https://rsuinternational.weebly.com/
- Listing of potential partnerships, collaborations and networks taken from the internet. Initial communication with these institutions.
- Initial communications with University of California-Berkeley and University of Guam for potential collaborations.
- Listing of institutions that have existing International College for benchmarking.
RSU is one of the SUCs featured in the first-ever campaign video prepared by the US Embassy in the Philippines in celebration of the International Education 2020 in the country.